Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fashion and fun...




I have become addicted to the reverse applique and other techniques offered in the "Alabama Stitch Book". So much so that I have created a whole new t-shirt line inspired by the techniques but adapted to appeal to the "So Cal" style. ( My daughter Tatum is waring th skulls and flowers t-shirt I designed - I have one too! ).




I first saw this beautiful handywork years ago in Vogue and when I started getting involved in the local Malibu eco scene, I started researching techniques and other eco friendly clothing lines.


Of course the original "Project Alabama" immediately came to mind. After further research I became aware that Project Alabama was in the middle of what seemed to be a restructuring and upon further research, some of the reasons for the "parting of ways" between the former partners in the company became abundantly clear. How eco friendly can manufacturing in another country really be? I am sure there were many other reasons, but taking away jobs from talented local workers and outsourcing to India didn't seem to fit the original profile of what Natalie Chanin created ( hence the name "Project Alabama" - NOT "Project India" right??? ). So the obvious for the founder and creator of this beautiful technique and style was to create Alabama Chanin to ensure the original vision would be carried on. I applaude Natalie Chanin for soldiering on and I am grateful for the inspiration her book has given me and so many others!!!!


There are endless possibilities...I am also a big fan of Tory Burch and I am designing some Moroccan inspired stencils and making some beautiful tunics that I can't wait to share with you all!




No comments:


CO2Stats

Project Ecoart

Blog Archive